There are a bunch of new driving laws that have officially gone into effect in Illinois that you'll want to know.
Here are a few to keep in mind:
- People are prohibited from streaming videos on a cell phone while they are driving.
- Scott's Law - Vehicles need to slow down, change lanes and proceed with caution when approaching disabled vehicles or emergency vehicles on the side of the highway. Effective Jan. 1st, the fines for violating Scott's Law increase to $10,000.
- Smoking in Car with a minor could face up to a $250 fine.
- Hitting a construction worker in a marked work zone increases from $10,000 to $25,000.
- Penalties have increased for failing to yield in school zone or cross walk. If you cause a serious injury or death, you could have your license suspended for 2 years and up to 5 figure fine.