Several pet foods have been recalled by the FDA after officials say 28 dogs have died and eight others have been sick from eating it according to ABC.
Midwestern Pet Foods' Sportsmix products for dogs and cats may contain a potentially fatal toxin called aflatoxin. Missouri's Department of Agriculture tested the food and found the high toxin levels, which comes from mold that grows on corn or other grains.
If you have Midwestern Pet Foods' Sportsmix products you should contact the company with instructions on how to throw it out so it's not accessible to children or other animals. You're also asked to report a pet food complaint to the FDA.
Aflatoxin poisoning can caused loss of appetite, sluggishness, vomiting, jaundice and more. Even if your dog doesn't seem ill after eating the Sportsmix products, you're strongly urged to set a vet just to be on the safe side.
The recalled lots codes are below:
50# Sportmix Energy Plus Lots Exp 03/02/22/05/L2, 03/02/22/05/L3, 03/03/22/05/L2
44# Sportmix Energy Plus Lots 03/02/22/05/L3
50# Sportmix Premium High Energy Lots 03/03/22/05/L3
44# Sportmix Premium High Energy Lots 03/03/22/05/L3
31# Sportmix Original Cat Lots 03/03/22/05/L3
15# Sportmix Original Cat Lots 03/03/22/05/L2, 03/03/22/05/L3