When you spend time, money and energy carving the perfect pumpkin, you don’t want it to go bad before Halloween is over!
But you can save your jack-o’-lantern from an early grave if you do it right.
These tips can extend the life of your pumpkin so you can enjoy it for all of the spooky season according to Pop Sugar.
- Choose your pumpkin carefully- Does the pumpkin have bruises? Is it discolored? Are there any dents or deep cuts already exposing its innards? If so, put the pumpkin down and look for one that’s evenly-colored and rounded.
- Be mindful of how you carve- If you don’t scrape all the guts out of the gourd, they can create moisture that will cause it to rot in a few days or attract pests and rodents. So get that thing as clean as possible.
- Spray your pumpkin with water and apple cider vinegar- Fill a spray bottle with water and add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, then spritz your carved pumpkin with the mix. It helps preserve it and deters pests from making themselves at home there.
- Use fake candles- Candlelight is an important feature of a jack-o’lantern, but real candles can dry it out too fast. So use glow sticks or battery-powered tea lights instead.
- Put your pumpkin somewhere dry- Your carved pumpkin needs to maintain a little moisture so it won’t dry up, but if you place it somewhere extremely humid, it’ll get moldy and rot.